Saturday, July 21, 2012

Upcycled Pinboard

I work at a bakery/restaurant and many things get thrown out. The bakers were throwing away two large cake pans because they were starting to leak out the sides. Obviously, these can no longer be used for baking but I couldn't just sit there and watch them be thrown away. I decided to turn one into a pinboard for my new craft room! I'm still deciding what to do with the other one.

Everything I used I had on hand. If you already have a fully stocked craft room, then I would suggest you use stuffing or padding inside yours, otherwise just do what I did!


Upcycled Pinboard from Cake Pan

Supplies:

  • 1 old cake pan
  • 1 piece of cardboard ( I used a box leftover from moving.)
  • Fabric, enough to fit your pan size
  • Ribbon
  • Leftover/extra yarn or padding/stuffing
  • Elmer's Glue All
  • Staple gun/stapler
  • Scissors
  • Measuring Tape
  • Electric screwdriver or drill (if using electric screwdrive make sure to use a pointed tipped screw just so you won't damage your bit)
  • Paint of your choice.

Directions:

  1. Measure and cut cardboard to size of cake pan. (Mine was around 13X18)
Cecil cat had to play with the scraps!

      2. I glued yard haphazardly on mine so it would looks more "stuffy" and textured. If you want it to be completely smooth I would use actual padding/stuffing. I also have, no kidding, 5 bags of yarn. Most I know I will never use to actually crochet with, so I might as well find some kind of uses for it.


     3. Allow glue to dry. Measure fabric one inch more than board size all around. This allows you to tighten the fabric and attach it to the back. I think I gave myself more than one inch to be honest! Secure fabric with staple gun on corners ( do not do this throughout the center because your staples could show through the other side!) Also secure with glue all.

    
     4. Allow board to dry. Meanwhile, take the cake pan and decide where you want the board to hang from. (if you're using a rectangle, basically vertical or horizontal? If you're using a circle pan, I guess it doesn't matter! haha) Make sure to level and measure your marks for your holes! Using your drill or I used my trusty Black and Decker electric screwdriver and a pointed tipped screw and drilled it through! I live in a rental and don't want to make any large holes in my walls, so I'd rather not hang it up using nails etc. That's where the holes in the pan and ribbon come in. (If you're painting your whole pan, do your painting now to allow to dry before attaching the ribbon hanger.)

Ribbon knotted through pan.

     Push ribbon through a hole and knot it until it can't fit through. Decide how much slack of ribbon you want to hang the board, determining how low it hangs. I gave mine quite a bit! Push ribbon through other hole and knot again until it can't fit through.

     5. I only painted the sides of my pan with a gray because I liked the silver on the inside. I did a quick cover up on sides and allowed the pan to dry.



     6. Meanwhile, after the board is dry I attached ribbon around the corners to make "pockets' to slide things under as well. I used the stapler and again kept it stapled on the very edges out of sight. Once everything is dry, board should fit right into pan and even stay in place. For extra security, or if you're accidently off by a few mm; I glued it down into the pan. Let it sit with some weight on it to dry.



A nice addition to my new craft room. Super easy and can be made with the most minimal of materials.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave me some comments, tell me what you think! :D