Mama Bear and I made this together the other night. We haven't got together in a little while and decided to make dinner at my place. We did a quick Pinterest search for something easy and this is what we found!
Ours differs from the original because we didn't prepare our chicken in a crock pot in advance. Also, we omitted the green peppers. We also used colby jack cheese, our selection at the grocery store was slim not sure if that's "Longhorn" cheese.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 TB butter
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (we pan cooked very thin natural chicken breasts)
- 1 12 oz pkg thin spaghetti broken in half, cooked according to directions
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (10.75 oz)
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz colby cheese jack, grated
- 1-2 TB olive oil
- Cook your chicken breast in skillet with olive oil. We used very thin breast so this shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes for 3 cups worth.
- Saute onion on med/high heat in 2Tbs butter in saucepan. Add garlic when onion is beginning to soften. Meanwhile, have water boiling for noodles. We broke our noodles in half. Boil spaghetti based on box instructions.
3. Mix noodles, mushroom soup, and chicken together in onion/garlic saucepan. I folded it all together to be evenly coated.
4. In a seperate saucepan, combine the melted butter and flour over med. heat. Similar to a roux, creating the thickening agent for the sauce.
5. Slowly add milk. Stir with a wire whisk until mixture thickens. Stir constantly, don't want it to clump!
6. Stir in grated cheese and pour over noodle mixture.
We had made some awesome spinach dip dinner rolls. It was also super easy and went well with the meal. I'll eat anything loaded with carbs. Bread being my favorite. Then pasta.
For this recipe we used drained canned spinach for the filling and switched up the mini part. We made ours in a regular size muffin pan. Also, I already had some canned biscuits, so we used that instead of french bread dough. And it turned out wonderfully yummy. Our variation is probably the less healthy option.
- 1 can of biscuits, pastry dough, french bread your choice
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 cups of drained canned spinach
- 1 clove fresh minced garlic
- 3 oz. softened cream cheese
- 2 TB parm. cheese
- Dash of chile pepper, galic salt, salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded ched/moz mix or just moz!
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. We made 8 biscuits for our dip bowls, but I'd follow the original recipe for smaller "party" portions! So, flatten dough into a rounds and press onto bottom and up sides of muffin cups.
2. Heat oil in skillet. Saute garlic. Add drained canned spinach and stir.
3. Mix all ingredients, except the shredded cheese, together in a large mixing bowl. Combine well.
I have added these recieps to my official "go to" easy dinner list. It really took no time at all. A really good comfort food.