Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Homemade Monkey Bread

It's been a rough couple of  weeks. I haven't had time to make any sweet treats lately, and every time that happens I start to Jones for my hands to be a bakin'.

 I decided to make something warm and yummy because it's been raining buckets down here. I'm already preparing myself for a "fall mindset"! All the recipes I found were using canned biscuit dough. I really wanted to making something from scratch, so just decided to make my own biscuit dough and then turn it into Monkey Bread.


Homemade Monkey Bread


Ingredients for the dough:

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 Tbs white granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup cold un-salted butter, cut into pieces
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions:

     1.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together first three ingredients. (Dry ingredients)


     2.  Cut the butter into the flour mix using a pastry blender. Cut to where flour resembles course crumbs.


     3.  Add the milk and egg to mixture. Stir until just combined. Dough should be sticky and moist, also lumpy.
     4.  Place dough mixture on a lightly floured surface. Knead dough till combined and smooth. Be careful to NOT over knead either!


     5.  I was able to cut out 14 biscuits with my dough. I used a wine glass as my cookie cutter. When done making your 14 biscuits cut them into quarters.
    
Ingredients for Monkey Bread:

  • Biscuit portions
  • 1/4 cup and 2 Tbs white granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • About a cup of packed brown sugar 
  • About 3/4 cup melted butter
Note** I used the Pillsbury recipe for a rough basis of assembly for the monkey bread. With their canned biscuits they had 16, my homemade biscuits made about 14. When I coated the biscuits, I didn't account for the extra sugar/cin topping. This, I believe is the culprit for the outcome. In the recipe written I accounted for the ratio drop. So, when I make this again, it shouldn't fall apart. But, it was still delicious. I don't care what it looks like if I'm not making it for anyone special! Bake fail?!

Directions:

      1.  Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease a fluted/bundt pan. In plastic Ziploc bag, combine granulated white sugar and cinnamon. Place biscuit quarters into bag and shake! Coat dough pieces.


     2.  Arrange dough pieces into pan. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar and melted butter. Pour over dough in pan.

When I looked at this picture I knew there was too much sugar coating!
     3.  Bake for 28-30 minutes. Golden brown and no longer doughy. Cool for 10 minutes and invert. You're then supposed to be able to "pull it apart." Mine kind of fell apart. But, it was my first time ever actually eating Monkey Bread I think. I knew what it was, but have no memories of ever actually eating it. Was still a success in my eyes! And, using my altered lowered ratio, I should have a better outcome next time!

It looked so perfect in the pan!

Fell out and the rest I just pulled all apart anyway! Grr....



I know I could have just used the canned biscuits and probably not of had any problem. But, I just love making homemade biscuits! This tasted great with my Macadamia Nut Coffee. Yum yum!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave me some comments, tell me what you think! :D